Senior Software Engineer
Volley’s product engineering team is looking for an engineering leader who will advocate for and demonstrate a commitment to product quality, well-designed software, and robust architecture. You would be responsible for expeditiously shipping features that improve the end-user experience while ensuring the highest levels of software quality and collaborating with product, design, and other stakeholders. You would also be responsible for mentorship and the technical growth of engineers on your team while also promoting work-life balance.
This job opportunity offers a hybrid work arrangement, and we are specifically seeking candidates who are comfortable with on-site attendance in our Bay Area office 2-3 times per week and are either currently residing in or near the Bay Area or willing to relocate for on-site work.
What you'll do at Volley
- Work on products that reach millions of active users
- Develop best-in-class voice-controlled products that are social, engaging, and fun to play
- Contribute to our powerful internal engine that allows developers to build and iterate quickly.
- Architect and deliver solutions for our products that are reliable and scalable.
- Collaborate with UX experts, designers, and data analysts to deliver products quickly and effectively
Stuff you may have done before
- Built consumer-facing apps or games at scale
- Operated in environments with fast development cycles focused on rapid product iteration
- Been part of a high-performing engineering team
- Worked with audio, voice, or other emerging technologies
- 5+ years of professional coding experience
- Experience leading a product- and experience-focused software development team
- Experience with modern NodeJS and/or Typescript or other strongly typed languages
- Passion for entertainment and/or games
- Typescript & Node.js
- DynamoDB, PostgreSQL, Neo4j
- Our custom engine: GEV (the Good Engine for Voice)
- Our scripting language: Flowscript
Your first 90 days
- Onboard into Volley’s engine and deployment infrastructure
- Take the lead on product roadmap discussions with your product manager
- Familiarize yourself with the project architecture and lay out a technical roadmap
- Deploy lots of new experiments, features, and fixes into production
- Work directly with the product to improve conversion, retention, and monetization for some of the most beloved games in the world
The hiring process
- Stage 1 (Preliminary Screening Call) with a member of our recruitment team
- Stage 2 (Behavioral Interview) with one of our Engineering Managers
- Stage 3 (Technical Screening) with a member of our Engineering team
- Stage 4 (Virtual On-Site Interview) with various partners and team members.
- Stage 5 (Founder Chat) with our Founders
- Stage 6 (Offer)
What's in it for you
- Your medical, dental, and vision insurance is 100% covered by Volley, for yourself and all dependents and we match 401k!
- We offer a flexible, hybrid work-from-home and in-office work model.
- We offer 4 weeks of paid time off (enforced 2-week minimum), 16 paid holidays, 40 hours of bereavement leave, and unlimited sick days.
- Our generous parental leave policy includes 24 weeks at 100% pay for birthing parents and 12 weeks at 100% pay for non-birthing parents.
- We offer visa support for eligible candidates, making relocating for the job smoother and more streamlined.
- A full breakdown of our benefits is here!
For Pay Transparency: The base salary range for this position is *$165,000-$210,000** annually, based on a local (San Francisco) hire. The final offer amount may depend on experience, education, skills, and location. Base pay is one part of the total package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work.*
Volley, named one of Y Combinator's Top Companies, is the leading developer of voice AI games and entertainment apps for smart speaker platforms like Amazon Alexa, smartphones, and connected TVs. Our voice apps are world-class and attract millions of users every month.
We’ve created several of the top experiences for voice-controlled devices, including:
- Jeopardy - America’s most popular game show
- Song Quiz - a name-that-tune music trivia game
- Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? - a quiz game to test your elementary-level knowledge
- Bedtime Stories - a soothing, narrated skill to help you fall asleep
We believe voice control will be the main way people access entertainment in their bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, and cars. Our goal is to build a destination for interactive audio entertainment, as Netflix did for television.
Volley believes in an inclusive workplace and is committed to building a team from a variety of backgrounds. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive the other benefits and privileges of employment.
We’re a small but quickly growing team that truly enjoys working together. We love coming together over Zoom happy hours, the funny and strange in Slack #random, and occasional karaoke sessions in our brand new Hayes Valley office. If this sounds like fun (we promise it is), get in touch!
Underrepresented candidates and candidates from nontraditional backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply!