Head of Finance
In this role, you will oversee the financial planning, budgeting, metrics, FP&A, data collection, and corporate development work at Volley. You’ll be a strategic partner in the decision-making of the company, working closely with executive leadership, growth & business development functions.
We've grown over 10x in the last few years and have commensurately more complex business needs in finance, accounting, control, balance sheet management, and budgeting. Your job would be to level us up from a 1.1 person finance function (10% of CEO time) to a group capable of scaling the company to hundreds of people and nine figures in revenue.
You'll report directly to the CEO and have significant discretion over hiring and team growth. Our goal is to use smart financial planning and measurement to make better business decisions—your job is to take charge of making that happen.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Deep knowledge of startup financial modeling, accounting, and control
- Ability to conduct in-depth financial analysis of our business and develop understanding of revenue drivers to identify improvement areas and opportunities
- Experience preparing investor-ready financial analyses, fundraising materials, strategic planning, exploration of market direction, and investor/board updates
Desire to drive projects for the executive team and Board of Directors. Priority projects include:
- Managing the finance data infrastructure to understand and own how the company collects and uses data
- Building processes and infrastructure to effectively track and scale revenue
- Digging into marketing analytics and pricing strategy (bundling, retention, and customer segmentation)
Experience managing/mentoring others in your function
Hiring and org design experience
Some things you may have done in the past:
- Built operating models to evaluate new business opportunities
- Worked with non-finance functional executives to provide structure and accountability on strategic objectives across the company
- Managed major finance initiatives as a growth-stage startup
- Implemented audit-ready accounting processes
- 6-10 years finance experience at a startup
- Passion for entertainment and/or games
- Deep understanding of startup financial modeling and accounting
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- 3+ years management and hiring experience
The hiring process:
- Stage 1 (Preliminary Screening) with Adrienne Hatter, Head of Recruiting
- Stage 2 (Interview Video Call) with Max Child, Co-Founder & CEO
- Stage 3 (Interview Video Call) with Finance Leader
- Stage 4 (Take-Home)
- Stage 5 (Half-Day “On Site”) with various partners, team-mates, and executives
- [Executive Roles] Follow-Up Calls as needed
What's in it for you:
- Your medical, dental, and vision insurance is 100% covered by Volley, for yourself and all dependents and we match 401k!
- We offer a flexible, hybrid work-from-home and in-office work model.
- We offer 4 weeks of paid time off (enforced 2-week minimum), 16 paid holidays, 40 hours of bereavement leave, unlimited sick days, and
- Our generous parental leave policy includes 24 weeks at 100% pay for birthing parents and 12 weeks at 100% pay for non-birthing parents
- We offer visa support for eligible candidates, making the process of relocating for the job smoother and more streamlined
- A full breakdown of our benefits is here!
For Pay Transparency: The base salary range for this position is $200,000 - $300,000 annually, based on a local (San Francisco) hire. Final offer amount may depend on experience, education, skills, and location.
Base pay is one part of the total package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work.
Volley develops voice-controlled games and entertainment apps for Amazon Alexa and Google Home. Our voice apps are world-class and attract millions of users every month.
We’ve created several of the top experiences for voice-controlled devices, including:
- Song Quiz - a name-that-tune music trivia game
- Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? - a quiz game to test your elementary-level knowledge
- Bedtime Stories - a soothing, narrated skill to help you fall asleep
- Jeopardy - the world's best game show
We believe voice control will be the main way people access entertainment in their bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, and cars. Our goal is to build a destination for interactive audio entertainment, as Netflix did for television.
Volley believes in an inclusive workplace and is committed to building a team from a variety of backgrounds. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive the other benefits and privileges of employment.
We’re a small but quickly growing team that truly enjoys working together. We love hanging out at happy hours, the funny and strange in Slack #random, and occasional karaoke sessions in our brand new Hayes Valley office. If this sounds like fun (we promise it is), get in touch!
Underrepresented candidates and candidates from nontraditional backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply!
Something looks off?