Python Platform Engineer
Picnic is an app-only supermarket. We’re data driven with software at our core. Our world-class developers write immaculate code to support the world’s fastest growing supermarket. We’re on a quest for like-minded people to be part of the future of digital grocery shopping!
🏢 Where you fit in
Our developers are highly involved and essential to each part of our company. From route planning, scaling our customers’ analytics to handle enormous chunks of data, to calculating how many bananas we should have in our warehouse on a Thursday – our teams write, plan, and predict.
From updating to Python 3.11 company-wide to the implementation of a package manager, the Python Platform team is involved in all Python code at Picnic in one form or another! They are developing a platform to make Python development at Picnic the best it can be - for everyone: techies, analysts, and anyone else using it in their day-to-day. In the Python Platform team, you will join a proactive group of Python developers with a passion for quality code, good software practices, and who get energy from investigating and developing general solutions to new and usual problems.
At Picnic your skills will be complemented with the latest tech and our diverse projects will keep you challenged and motivated. From designing, developing, and testing new user-facing features, to optimizing supply chain systems and improving the scalability and security of our platform: you’ll be managing individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables, while finding yourself fully immersed in an engaging culture.
As one of our Python developers, you will grab ownership of projects, grow, and work collaboratively with your colleagues. You will design, implement, test, evolve, and evaluate the nuts and bolts of our operations while offering a creative and analytical approach. We don’t hide what we do. Instead, we open-source with the community that helped us grow, and talk about software in our engineering blog. Check for yourself, on https://blog.picnic.nl.
🚀 The team
There's a few different teams looking for Python developers here at Picnic! During the recruitment process, we will understand together what your strengths are, what you can still learn and develop, and what team would be your perfect match. In our scale up phase, we have plenty of ongoing opportunities, and even more coming up - we promise a cool journey!
🔥 What challenges await you
- Manage, lead and complete projects
- Design, develop, and test software for our platform
- Create high-quality code that is scalable, reliable and reusable
- Help our analysts with any engineering questions or challenges they may face
- Develop new features and improve the scalability and security of our Python systems
- Take ownership of projects and manage their entire life cycles
👉🏼 Who you are
- You have a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent, or relevant experience
- You have outstanding Python skills (with at least 4 years of professional software development experience)
- You understand the importance of good practices and pride yourself on top-notch code quality
- You get energy out of developing universal solutions to all sorts of common problems
- Knowledge sharing is your bread and butter - with other techies as well as non-tech stakeholders
- You know when to use NoSQL solutions like MongoDB, ElasticSearch, and RabbitMQ vs SQL.
- You feel comfortable building microservices
- You know your way around software versioning (git), test suites, technical documentation, and continuous integration and deployment
- ...and you don't mind collecting bonus points with your cloud, docker and Kubernetes skills
- For bonus points: experience with observability tools (e.g. Prometheus, Grafana, Datadog, Elasticstack…)
👩💻 Technologies you'll use
- Python 3.10/3.11
- Many Python libraries across various domains
- PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Snowflake, RabbitMQ
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, TeamCity
Located in Amsterdam, our fun-filled office is the best place for you to focus on your Picnic projects. Equipped with your favorite hardware and surrounded by like-minded people, you’ll grow professionally and personally, while enjoying the scale-up life along the way. We like to keep our 40-hour work-week flexible around here, and our developers like to spend a couple of days a week in the office.
Our tech team consists of 30+ product teams, which handle tons of innovative projects. Sharing, mentoring and keeping up to date is a must at Picnic: Meetups, webinars, Lunch & Learn sessions, and our very own Tech academy make sure that’s taken care of. Your soft skills will get some attention as well, with tailored training and courses.
Our salaries are market competitive and our pension program will put your mind at ease.
🏡 Relocation package?
Sure! If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in.
What are you waiting for? Get in touch!