Tech Lead (Java)
At Picnic, we’re revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our innovative and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re excited about leading a development team building mission-critical products and services, then we have the right opportunity for you!
Check out this blog post to learn about our open-source Error Prone Support project! 💻
If you’re a passionate Tech Lead we’re offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our scaleup environment.
🥜 In a nutshell
Picnic operates more than 40 product tech teams that each provide an integral part of our customers' experience - from the point they start the app until the moment they hold their groceries in their hands.
As Tech Lead you will be leading one of these teams and empower them to deliver high-quality, secure and performant solutions for the business we’re building. Together with the Product Owner you will evaluate initiatives and drive roadmap discussions. You’ll design and estimate technical solutions for the presented challenges together with your team.
You will be responsible for the delivery of projects and for developing the skills and strengths of the people working in your team. As a Tech Lead, you’ll lead by example, not by title.
🎯 What you’ll do
- As a Tech Lead in one of our domains, you’ll work with stakeholders from tech and business to translate requirements into scalable and resilient solutions.
- You help the team plan, prioritize and make the right trade-offs. Ensuring business goals are achieved while also realizing your long-term technical vision.
- You provide in-depth tech expertise for your product and act as point of contact for other teams wishing to use and cooperate with your product.
- You are able to communicate your views both when specifying new features with stakeholders and while providing technical mentorship to your colleagues.
- You act responsibly for the well-being of your surrounding colleagues and build their skills based on development needs.
- You build it - you run it - you love it: you will be responsible for managing a sustainable support model for your product.
We don’t hide what we do. Instead, we open-source with the community that helped us grow. Here’s proof:http://picnic.tech
💻 Technologies we use
- Java 17 (Spring 5 with Spring Boot 2, Reactor, Immutables, Maven)
- Python 3.x
- RabbitMQ and Kafka
- PostgreSQLand MongoDB
- Git and Docker
- AWS, Helm, Terraform, Kubernetes, Vault
- Datadog, Grafana and Prometheus
Hungry for more? Check outhttps://stackshare.io/picnic-technologies for an overview of our tech stack.
⭐ About you
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Information Technology, Computer Engineering or a related technical field.
- You have at least 7 years of experience and a profound understanding of back-end development including Java, Spring Boot, MongoDB and PostgreSQL.
- You have experience in leading projects and/or teams.
- You have solid problem solving skills and enjoy complex challenges.
- You have great English skills (no Dutch required) and are able to structure your thoughts and express them clearly verbally and in writing.
📖 Picnic Perks
Learn new things every day!
- You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
- You’ll work in an awesome scale-up environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
- Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
- With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
- You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
- Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
- There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga, to climbing!
- We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self, as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
- Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
- Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
- In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
- From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.