Tech Lead (Infrastructure Core)
At Picnic, we’re revolutionising the way people buy groceries with our innovative and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re excited about the prospect of leading our Infrastructure Core team, we’re offering you the opportunity to bring your skills to our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our scale-up environment!
🥜 In a nutshell
As a Tech Lead for the Infrastructure Core team you will lead the team focusing on building a cloud platform for running compute workloads and observability. You will empower the engineering team around you to deliver high quality, secure and performant infrastructure solutions for software product teams at Picnic. You will establish an infrastructure vision in the domain of compute and observability and help lead the way forward when it comes to running safe, performant and reliable workloads.
🎯 What you’ll do
- Lead the team to build scalable and reliable infrastructure solutions, supporting product teams to build and deploy high quality software products
- Contribute to an awesome team atmosphere. You'll mentor, provide feedback, conduct performance reviews and moderate discussions to help your team members reach their full potential
- Design and architect infrastructure solutions in a diverse cloud environment, across a diverse range of domains. Picnic is an end-to-end supply chain and shopping experience, and provides end-to-end infrastructure to support it internationally
- Use your strong collaboration skills to work with teams and team leads to build a solid ecosystem of cloud compute, storage, security, IAM, networking, observability and DevOps platforms and tooling
- Work together with software product teams on building infrastructure innovations for their products, and foster a strong DevOps mindset and culture within software product teams
- Continuously improve the reliability, performance and security of the execution environments for container and virtual machine workloads
- Reduce operational cost by enabling teams to run their systems more efficiently while retaining or improving their SLOs
- Lead the adoption of next generation compute platforms that reduce carbon footprint like AWS Graviton
💻 Technologies we use
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes (EKS), Helm, Terraform
- Spacelift, Teamcity
- PostgreSQL (PostGIS), MongoDB, Snowflake, HC Vault
- ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ, Kafka
- Datadog, Prometheus Stack, EC2, vSphere
⭐️ About you
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Information Technology, Computer Engineering or a related technical field
- You have at least 6 years of professional experience in infrastructure or software engineering, including team leadership experience
- You have experience with architecting and conducting migrations in complex and highly available cloud infrastructure environments
- You apply software engineering practices to build features and decrease technical debt, complexity and toil
- You have a foundational understanding of networking and operating systems that you can apply to reason about cloud environments
- You have a strong operational excellence mindset, and familiarity with cloud infrastructure monitoring and debugging tools
📖 Picnic Perks
Every expert was once a beginner!
- You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the leadership training on a few key fronts: professional skills development, management skill development and technical and architectural skill development, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
- You’ll work in an awesome startup environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
- Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
- With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
- You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
- Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
- There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga, to climbing!
- We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self, as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
- Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
- Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
- In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
- From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.