Senior Warehouse Simulation Software Engineer
We have recently founded a new team that is working on defining a next generation simulation system from scratch. The team is working on detailed simulations of some of the largest automated fulfillment centers in Europe, and builds models of new warehousing and automation concepts that will enable us to expand as never before. The simulations serve as virtual sites that provide a risk-free environment to analyze and test our automated warehouses. They support our software development, commissioning, and enable our analysts to validate new warehousing concepts and improve existing ones. For example, this blog post explains how we setup simulation to test our Warehouse Control System software.
🏢 Where you fit in
As a member of this warehouse simulation team, you will have the chance to play an integral role in shaping and defining our simulation product. Our team operates with a high degree of autonomy and creativity, tackling many unknowns along the way.
As a Warehouse Simulation Engineer, you will work in Python to build, plan and expand our in-house simulation system. Your primary responsibility will be to develop the tool to simulate new and improved automated warehouses, capturing the complex dynamics between hardware, software, and humans. You will strive to find innovative ways to replicate real-world conditions of warehouse components within these models and drive implementation in the team. Additionally, you will conduct research on simulation and digital twin technologies and drive innovation of the system, to ensure that our system is future-proof. You will also provide support to developers and analysts to effectively utilize our simulation system, playing a critical role in optimizing warehouse operations and improving efficiency.
🔥 What challenges await you
- Design, develop, and test software for our warehouse simulation system that allows simulating warehouse operations for testing software, analyze new automation strategies, and validate to be build warehouse layouts
- Create high-quality code that is scalable, reliable and reusable to build an everlasting tool
- Lead projects and initiatives in the Warehouse Simulation team and set the system up for success
👉🏼 Who you are
You have a curious mindset and enjoy exploring the intricacies of systems and processes. At the same time, your practical approach to problems allows you to balance between model abstraction, performance, and development effort by focusing on the big picture rather than getting bogged down in the details.
- You have a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computational Science or equivalent
- You are excited about and experienced in simulation (5+ years in software development)
- …and have outstanding Python skills!
- You have a good understanding of relational databases and SQL
- You know when to use NoSQL solutions like MongoDB, ElasticSearch, and RabbitMQ
- You know your way around software versioning (git), test suites, technical documentation, and continuous integration and deployment
- ...and you don't mind collecting bonus points with your cloud and Kubernetes skills
👩💻 Technologies you'll use
- Python 3.9/3.10/3.11
- Many Python libraries across various domains
- PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Snowflake
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, TeamCity
Picnic is an online supermarket. We meet at the intersection of groceries and tech - leveraging software and data to offer a new solution to an old problem. Our warehouses are including more and more data and automation - and through our Simulation Systems, we have it all under control.
Located in Amsterdam, our fun-filled office is the best place for you to focus on your Picnic projects. Equipped with your favorite hardware and surrounded by like-minded people, you’ll grow professionally and personally, while enjoying the scale-up life along the way. We like to keep our 40-hour work-week flexible around here, and our developers like to spend a couple of days a week in the office.
Our tech team consists of 25+ product teams, which handle tons of innovative projects. Sharing, mentoring and keeping up to date is a must at Picnic: Meetups, webinars, Lunch & Learn sessions, and our very own Tech academy make sure that’s taken care of. Your soft skills will get some attention as well, with tailored training and courses.
Our salaries are market competitive and our pension program will put your mind at ease.
🏡 Relocation package?
Sure! If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in.
What are you waiting for? Get in touch! And no worries, the whole recruitment process is currently fully remote, to keep everyone safe and healthy.