Senior Python Engineer
Picnic is an app-only supermarket. We’re data driven with software at our core. Our world-class developers write immaculate code to support the world’s fastest growing supermarket. We’re on a quest for like-minded people to be part of the future of digital grocery shopping.
🏢 Where you fit in
Our developers are highly involved and essential to each part of our company. From route planning, scaling our customers’ analytics to handle enormous chunks of data, to calculating how many bananas we should have in our warehouse on a Thursday – our teams write, plan, and predict.
While Java is the predominant language in our infrastructure, our ecosystem is diversifying and many software projects are fully written in Python. As one of our Python developers, you grab ownership of projects, grow, and work collaboratively with your colleagues. You design, implement, test, evolve, and evaluate the nuts and bolts of our operations while offering a creative and analytical approach. You feel at home writing software libraries and applications and display an intricate understanding of how each line of code fits into a business plan.
At Picnic your skills will be complemented with the latest tech and our diverse projects will keep you challenged and motivated. From designing, developing, and testing new user-facing features, to optimizing supply chain systems and improving the scalability and security of our platform: you’ll be managing individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables, while finding yourself fully immersed in an engaging cculture.
We don’t hide what we do. Instead, we open-source with the community that helped us grow, and talk about software in our engineering blog. Check for yourself, on https://blog.picnic.nl.
🔥 What challenges await you
- Manage, lead and complete projects.
- Design, develop, and test software for our platform
- Create high-quality code that is scalable, reliable and reusable
- Help our analysts with any engineering questions or challenges they may face
- Develop new features and improve the scalability and security of our Python systems
- Take ownership of projects and manage their entire life cycles.
👉🏼 Who you are
- You have a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent, or relevant experience
- You have outstanding Python skills
- ...with at least 5 years of experience
- You have experience with Docker
- You have a good understanding of relational databases and SQL
- You know when to use NoSQL solutions like MongoDB, ElasticSearch, and RabbitMQ
- You feel comfortable building microservices
- You know your way around software versioning (git), test suites, technical documentation, and continuous integration and deployment
- ...and you don't mind collecting bonus points with your cloud and Kubernetes skills
👩💻 Technologies you'll use
- Python 3.9/3.10/3.11
- Many Python libraries across various domains
- PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Snowflake, RabbitMQ
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, TeamCity
Located in Amsterdam, our fun-filled office is the best place for you to focus on your Picnic projects. Equipped with your favorite hardware and surrounded by like-minded people, you’ll grow professionally and personally, while enjoying the scale-up life along the way. We like to keep our 40-hour work-week flexible around here, and our developers like to spend a couple of days a week in the office.
Our tech team consists of 25+ product teams, which handle tons of innovative projects. Sharing, mentoring and keeping up to date is a must at Picnic: Meetups, webinars, Lunch & Learn sessions, and our very own Tech academy make sure that’s taken care of. Your soft skills will get some attention as well, with tailored training and courses.
Our salaries are market competitive and our pension program will put your mind at ease.
🏡 Relocation package?
Sure! If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in.
What are you waiting for? Get in touch! And no worries, the whole process is currently fully remote, to keep everyone safe and healthy.