Senior DevOps Engineer
At Picnic, we’re revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our innovative and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re a passionate DevOps, Cloud, and Infrastructure, we’re offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our scaleup environment.
🥜 In a nutshell
We have software at our core and place a relentless focus on innovation and automation. Our DevOps Engineers are the glue that binds our engineering team while making an impact on the future of in-app grocery shopping with a toolkit that consists of next-generation technologies.
🎯 What you’ll do
- Lead on integrating DevOps methodology into the development and operations lifecycles
- Design and architect cloud infrastructure, maintain and guide the team’s effectiveness
- Build a self-service platform for product teams to provision and operate their product’s infrastructure components.
- Coordinate networks and deploy resources, keeping our systems running in a smooth, clean, and robust manner
- Ensure our systems remain secure and all operational requirements are fulfilled
- Offer practical advice on deployment while defining and executing our cloud automation strategy, with a strong focus on service availability, scalability, security, and resilience
- Enable the rapid deployment of new product features with the necessary safeguards to maintain stability, high availability, and performance
💻 Technologies we use
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes (EKS), Helm, Terraform, Ansible
- Spacelift, Teamcity
- PostgreSQL (PostGIS), MongoDB, Snowflake
- ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ, Kinesis
⭐ About you
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent - or relevant experience
- At least 6 years of professional experience in infrastructure or software engineering
- Deep understanding of designing and architecture of cloud infrastructure
- Proficient in Kubernetes and configuring and deploying Docker containers
- Experience with cloud computing, scripting languages, and automation with Terraform
- Relevant experience with the technologies used at Picnic
- Fluency in English (Dutch is not required)
For Bonus Points
- Experience in deploying and managing Java applications and other technologies related to Picnic
- Background or extensive experience with software engineering
📖 Picnic Perks
Every expert was once a beginner!
You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly Dutch language courses.
Make a difference
You’ll work in an awesome startup environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga, to climbing!
We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self, as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have at least one team day per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
- Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in (as long as regulations allow).
- In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
- From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.