React Native Engineer (Experienced)
At Picnic, we’re revolutionizing the way people buy groceries with our affordable and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re a passionate React Native engineer, we’re offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our scaleup environment.
🥜 In a nutshell
At Picnic, we use Native and React Native alongside each other to provide an innovative service to our customers. Why use React Native? To put it simply, using cross-platform technologies enables us to deliver more value to our customers, so it’s a no-brainer for us. What we like about React Native is that it’s an opt-out technology: it provides a useful escape hatch to Native. However, we only use React Native where it makes sense—the user experience is our top priority. And don’t worry, we love type-safety so all our React Native code is written in TypeScript.
🎯 What you'll do
- Shape the strategy for integrating React Native components in our native apps, and define conventions and infrastructure around React (Native) development
- Collaborate with designers and product owners to create specifications for new features Build out our backend-driven UI framework (developed in React Native) and transition existing functionalities from native to React Native whenever possible
- Use solid communication skills to train our amazing team of native engineers
💻 Technologies we use
- TypeScript and RxJS
- React Native
- Styled Components
- Jest, Storybook
⭐ About you
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Information Technology, Computer Engineering or equivalent
- 3+ years in full-time software development, of which 3+ years of experience in shipping high-traffic React Native apps
- Hands-on experience with (unit) testing
- Experience with Android and/or iOS is a plus
- A problem-solving mindset
- The confidence to transform high-level business requirements into a technical plan
- Experience working in a product-based company
- The ability to coach fellow developers using a structured communication style
- Fluency in English (Dutch not required)
- For bonus points: Open source contributions to the React Native framework
📖 Picnic Perks
Every expert was once a beginner!
You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including our Lunch & Learn sessions and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
You’ll work in an awesome startup environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga to climbing!
We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self, as well as 25 vacation days per year so you can recharge your batteries.
Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have a couple team days per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
- Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in.
- In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
- From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.