Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer
At Picnic, we’re revolutionising the way people buy groceries with our innovative and sustainable app-only service. We do almost everything in-house, developing cutting-edge technologies and processes to ensure we continue to grow rapidly without missing a beat. If you’re a passionate QA Engineer, we’re offering you the opportunity to join the diverse team at our Amsterdam HQ and make a real difference in our scaleup environment.
🥜 In a nutshell
As a Quality Assurance Engineer at Picnic, you will stop at nothing to achieve only the best standard of quality. With a creative and analytical approach, you will take ownership of product quality. You will define test strategies and plans, as well as manage testing priorities, enhance our automated tests suite, and enable your teammates to test.
You feel at home implementing automated tests and display a comprehensive understanding of how tests fit into a business plan and product vision. Using your excellent communication skills, you will coach your team on quality assurance best practices.
Since we have 35+ teams using different stacks within our domain teams it’s a role with plenty of variety, and together we will find the best fit for your skillset and ambitions! For example, in one team, you might focus on testing and implementing regression automation suites for user-facing features on mobile or web applications. In another, you might contribute to data-focused testing to ensure high quality in the scheduling, planning, and prediction algorithms.
We’re open-sourcing, so if you need a little extra convincing before applying, check out our page: http://picnic.tech
🎯 What you’ll do
As QA Engineer at Picnic, you will be working on a wide variety of tasks, depending on your interests and the team you join. During your interviews and first weeks on the job, we will figure out what fits best. Your responsibilities might include:
- Driving end-to-end quality processes within a product team
- Enabling team members to perform testing by mentoring and providing tools, documentation, and other standard methodologies
- Performing hands-on testing: manual and automated
- Proactively engaging with colleagues in a cross-functional team to improve the quality of the product, tech, and Picnic as a whole
- Coordinating testing activities with the goal to anticipate the team’s quality needs
- Working with the product team leads to protect the balance between quality and delivery
- Working with the Picnic QA guild to continuously streamline and improve quality standards
- Finding creative and innovative approaches to take quality to the next level
⭐ About you
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or any related software engineering discipline
- 3+ years of experience
- Deep understanding of agile SDLC and STLC
- Experience with Python and/or Java; we are aiming to have a Python-based test environment
- Experience with test automation frameworks, such as: mobile (e.g., Appium), web (e.g., Selenium) testing frameworks
- Understanding of rollout strategies
- Track record of implementing QA strategies at the team level
- Passionate about building a QA culture and mindset
For bonus points
- Experience with performance testing
- Experience with Behave/Cucumber
- Deep knowledge of test automation
- Understanding of CI/CD test and building automation
- Knowledge of database queries (e.g., SQL, noSQL)
- Understanding of system metrics, monitoring, and alerting
📖 Picnic Perks
Every expert was once a beginner!
You’ll get plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow, including the Picnic Tech Academy, Lunch & Learn sessions, and tailored soft skills training. We also offer free professional weekly language courses.
Make a difference
You’ll work in an awesome scale-up environment with the freedom to drive your own projects and create a visible impact.
Our fully electric vehicles and sustainable business model mean you’ll also be contributing to making the world a better place!
Teamwork makes the dream work
With more than 80 nationalities across 3 countries, you’ll be part of a diverse company with plenty of cool stuff to get involved with, from board game evenings to after-work drinks to our company ski trip and more!
You are what you eat
You’ll get freshly prepared, healthy lunches and snacks (with plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and halal options). Coffee snob? Don’t worry, our amazing Picnic barista has you covered.
Mental health is important. As well as having the option to speak with Picnic colleagues who act as confidential advisors, our collaboration with OpenUp gives you easy access to professional psychologists, along with workshops and materials.
There are plenty of sports communities and events to get involved with, from tennis to yoga to climbing!
We offer competitive compensation and a pension plan that looks out for your future self as well as 25 vacation days per year, so you can recharge your batteries
Where possible, we like to enable people to work in ways that suit their working styles, which is why we have a hybrid-working model. Our teams generally like to have two to three team days per week at the office (the tasty lunch and Barista-made coffee may be a factor), but besides that, it’s up to you and your team.
Benefits for expats
It can be daunting starting a new job AND moving to a new country. That’s why we offer lots of support for our many expat colleagues, including:
Relocation package: If you join Picnic from abroad, we’ll cover your trip to Amsterdam, sponsor your Visa, and offer you a month of accommodation while you settle in.
In the Netherlands, we offer support with your first tax report as well as arranging the 30% ruling.
From health insurance to living arrangements to pet passports, there are always colleagues who’ve faced the same challenges and are more than happy to help!
Commitment to equal opportunities
Picnic is an equal opportunity employer—this means that all decisions regarding applications will be based on qualifications and merit. Applicants will be regarded independently of age, gender, identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, skin color, civil status, religious beliefs, physical or mental disability, or any other factors protected by law.
At Picnic, we celebrate and value our differences and are committed to building a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone can be themselves.