Fresh Truck Operations Assistant
About Fresh is a Boston area nonprofit on a mission to strengthen communities by getting healthy food to the households that need it most. Our programs are built to be integrated into community health systems and are designed to scale with our partnerships and emerging opportunities.
About Fresh currently operates two programs
- Fresh Truck mobile markets bring affordable, healthy food closer to low-income neighborhoods throughout Boston
- Fresh Connect is a digital payment platform that enables health care providers to subsidize the cost of healthy food for patients and analyze the health-related impacts of improved diets.
Fresh Truck Operations Assistant are an integral part of the Mobile Market team, the face of Fresh Truck in our communities. Operations Assistants make the shopping experience for our customers delightful and unique. This role requires a diverse skill set blending food purveyor, dock worker and customer service representative. We’re looking for someone with an unrelenting passion for selling fresh produce, community building and food justice.
- Workweek: Monday thru Saturday, 35-40 hours per week, always paid for a 40-hour workweek; overtime available when necessary.
What you’ll do
- With supervision provided by the Market Manager Lead and Fresh Truck Associate Director, you’ll assist in the running of weekly mobile markets, periodic pop-up markets, operations projects and other work to help us move our mission forward.
Daily Market Operations (95%)
- With the direction of the Fresh Truck Market Managers, operate mobile markets (weekly and pop-up) in diverse, low-income neighborhoods where increased access to fresh produce is needed.
- Perform the following duties as part of mobile market operations:
- Fresh Produce inventory count
- Produce load-in to market buses or trucks
- Produce load-out to warehouse at end of day
- Produce check-out on ipad point of sale
- Produce bagging and re-stocking
- Excellent “customer service +”
- Bus/truck and warehouse cleaning
- Equipment maintenance reporting and support with Operations Manager
- Other duties as assigned
- Create an inviting shopping experience through “customer service +” defined as initiating conversations around food and food justice, approach customers with a trauma-informed mindset (appropriate training provided), answer questions around available food benefits and Fresh Truck market operations.
- Act as an ambassador and educator for SNAP/HIP/EBT and other local/state/federal public benefits that increase people’s purchasing power (appropriate training provided),
- Ensure a dignified, respectful shopping experience for our customers while providing high-quality fresh fruits and vegetables,
- Under the direction of the Program Manager, run Pop-Ups
- Communicate effectively with shoppers, volunteers, and community partners to ensure a dignified and enjoyable market experience for everyone.
- Under the direction of the Online Retail Manager, support the Fresh Truck ECommerce program via produce box distribution and to improve and grow the program.
- Support adherence to COVID safety protocols at market locations
- Drive an extended cargo van, 22 feet length, when necessary
Team Projects (as assigned) (5%)
- Work on at least one working group or special project to design and implement projects that impact the community, including social action activities, operations projects and support work to improve our environmental footprint,
Who you are
- Willingness to grow, adapt and learn with the organization as About Fresh grows, adapts and changes.
- You embrace working within diverse community settings and with a strong sense of social justice,
- Multilingual (Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Russian) is huge a plus,
- You understand and are prepared to deal with emergent issues/challenges that come along with working with vulnerable populations. Additional training will be provided.
- An excellent driver, accustomed to driving in an urban environment; strong preference for individuals with experience driving box trucks, buses, and large vehicles
- Relentless organizer (community and operational) capable of improvising to ensure positive, justice-based market experience as well as operational delivery and fulfillment
- Have the drive to show up and do the work in very hot and very cold conditions, remembering that the work that we do is important and necessary.
- Background and knowledge in volunteer and community work a plus; Understanding of food systems and food justice a plus
- Grit - you’re willing to get your hands dirty, comfortable with some heavy lifting and will stop at nothing to make things happen
- Some experience in one or a combination of the following: customer service, operations and supply chain management, food/grocery retail, and/or food service; experience with an early stage startup is a bonus
- Ability to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Driver’s license in good standing with the state of Massachusetts and points no higher than 4
- Ability to lift ~50lb on a regular basis
- Work collaboratively across the About Fresh team
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
About Fresh requires its employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and we strongly suggest that staff receive booster shots as they become available, where allowable under the law, unless they are approved for a reasonable accommodation based on disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
- If you are currently unvaccinated, you are required to have received at least one COVID-19 shot prior to your first day of employment and to provide proof of your vaccination status within the first 30 days of your employment. For the two COVID-19 shot regimen, you will be required to provide proof of your second COVID-19 shot within the first 60 days of your employment. Failure to provide timely proof of your COVID-19 vaccination status will result in the termination of your employment with About Fresh.
- If you are unable to be fully vaccinated due to disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or religious belief, you will be required to apply for a reasonable accommodation within the first 30 days of your employment in order to remain employed with About Fresh. As a part of this process, you will be required to provide information or documentation about the reason you cannot be vaccinated. If your request for an accommodation is not approved, then your employment may be terminated.
What you’ll get
- Work with a dynamic, dedicated, and diverse team to make it easier for people to get the food they need to be healthy, happy, and hopeful
- Competitive benefits package provided for employees and eligible dependents, including full employer paid health, subsidized dental and vision coverage
- 3 weeks paid vacation time, plus last week of the year off, and 11 paid company holidays
- 3% 401k retirement savings investment, regardless of employee contribution
- Personal learning and development funds
- Fitness reimbursement
- Free fruits and vegetables from Fresh Truck’s mobile market
- The salary for this position is $47,500
About Fresh practices equity, inclusion, and belonging throughout our programming, hiring practices, and organizational design to create a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and making decisions in service of our mission. About Fresh staff represent a wide range of racial, socioeconomic, gender, religious, and national identities—we value the depth this brings to carrying out our mission. About Fresh is an equal opportunity employer.
About Fresh Culture Code
We’re Driven by People
We honor people by listening to their experiences and sharing our own. We do our best at work when we nurture relationships and care for people and our partners.
We’re About Learning
We are audacious learners and program builders. Our persistence and confidence in learning drives our ability to solve complex problems and engineer impactful solutions.
We Come Through
We deliver in everyday and big moments. We greet our work with a deep sense of responsibility and discipline, knowing that people rely on our work, and are betting on us to shape the future of food equity.
Food is ❤️
We believe food is our culture, happiness + health. Our work is inspired by moments of joy, connection, humor, and healing that happen when we gather around food.
Something looks off?